Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 46: Heat Wave


Day 46: Heat Wave

We made it to Manaus. We were all pretty exhausted since we left the hotel at 3 am.

The second we left the airport there was this incredible heat wave that just blasted us. It felt like a punch in the face. It really goes to show that Brazil is not just a wet hot country; it’s also a really really hot really really wet country.

After we got into our hotel we went sightseeing. We visited the Theater of the Amazons. It is an amazing building; almost everything inside of it was imported from Europe. The building is said to be valued at about one billion dollars, I believe it. Everything was completely ornate and gorgeous. However, what is a building like this doing in the middle of the amazon?

Later that night we walked the around the city and went and saw crafts. The crafts in the amazon are very different from the ones in Recife. They really represent the Indian culture that is still present in the amazon. I bought a wooden owl, owls are awesome.

Later that night we went to the opera, in that same amazing theater. The performers were Koreans from New York, which I thought was really weird. And interestingly enough most of the audience were Brazilians with Asian background. I had heard that Brazil had a lot of Asian population but I hadn’t seen it until just then. It was a really beautiful performance.

Before the concert even started I met a couple from France, while waiting in line. The woman is an art professor, and she was just travelling all around Brazil visiting museums and looking at art. She was amazing, I am so glad I met her, someday I want her job. 






No comments:

Post a Comment